How To Send A Request To A Government Records Center

If there are some government records that you are interested in obtaining, you are going to need to send a government records request to the appropriate government records center. There is no need to worry because as a citizen of your country you have a legal right to obtain government records as you please, as long as you send in your request form. Under the Freedom of Information Act and the Privacy Act, any citizen of a country is allowed to view Federal government records as they please. It is your right after all, under the Freedom of Information Act and the Privacy Act.

First you are going to need to figure out just what agency you are supposed to be writing and directing the letter to. Of course you need to include your contact information. Offer your personal information at the top of the letter, so they know who you are and how to contact you. You will also need to make a clear list of the different government records that you are requesting access to.

You may be looking for birth certificates or marriage certificates, maybe even government army records for a loved one that served time in the military and who you want to find out information on. It is best to include a handwritten note and then you should also print off an actual government records request form and fill that out to include as well. This form will help ensure that you include all the right information. You should not have to wait longer than a few weeks to get a response back.

If it has been twenty days and you have still not heard back, you will want to contact them and make sure they received your records request letter. If you are denied you absolutely have the right to appeal because there are very few situations in which a denial of government records would be allowed. This will make them explain the reason they denied you and because there are very few reasons why a denial would be acceptable, chances are if you appeal you will be able to obtain the government records you are looking for. Under the Acts you have a legal right to view government records and you should not be denied those rights.

If you fight back with an appeal, that agency can get in trouble if you are found to be in the right. If you do it can help the process to go through a lot quicker but that is completely up to you. You want to keep things as professional as possible. You want to make sure that all the information is accurate before mailing it off.